Quick Answer: How Do You Treat Well Water?

Shock chlorination (disinfection) is recommended:

  • when lab results indicate a presence of bacteria,
  • upon completion of a new well or after pump replacement or repair,
  • when the distribution system is opened for repairs or maintenance,
  • following contamination by flood water,
  • to control iron and sulfur bacteria.

If your well tests positive for E. coli, you should boil the water for at least one minute at a rolling boil before drinking it. You may also disinfect the well according to procedures recommended by your local health department.Shock chlorination (disinfection) is recommended:

  • when lab results indicate a presence of bacteria,
  • upon completion of a new well or after pump replacement or repair,
  • when the distribution system is opened for repairs or maintenance,
  • following contamination by flood water,
  • to control iron and sulfur bacteria.

To remove the bleach, pump the well water out through a hose attached to a tap (inside or out, but away from the septic system) until you can’t smell the chlorine anymore. Wait three or four days, and test your water. To be safe, Warren recommends you then test it twice more.To kill or inactivate Giardia, bring your water to a rolling boil for one minute (at elevations above 6,500 feet, boil for three minutes) Water should then be allowed to cool, stored in a clean sanitized container with a tight cover, and refrigerated. An alternative to boiling water is using a point-of-use filter.A replacement anode may provide corrosion protection without contributing to the production of hydrogen sulfide gas. Disinfect and flush the water heater with a chlorine bleach solution. Chlorination can kill sulfur bacteria, if done properly.

How often should you treat your well water?

Homeowners with private wells should have their well water tested every 3 to 5 years for some contaminants, including bacteria.

How many years does a water well last?

Water wells use pumps that are used to drive water from the ground to your home. These pumps determine the lifespan of your well. Submersible pumps that are commonly used in many wells usually last from eight years to ten years. With proper maintenance and care, the lifespan can be increased to fifteen years.

How can I make my well water safe to drink?

0:19

2:05

Suggested clip · 84 seconds

Private Wells – what can you do to make sure your well water is safe

YouTube

Start of suggested clip

End of suggested clip

How long does it take for water to clear after shocking a well?

Wait one to two weeks after shock chlorinating the water supply system to retest for total coliform and E. coli bacteria. Follow sample collection instructions carefully. If the test results show the absence of coliform bacteria, the water is safe to drink.

How much bleach is needed to shock a well?

Mix 2 quarts bleach in 10 gallons of water; pour into well. Connect a garden hose to a nearby faucet and wash down the inside of the well. Open each faucet and let the water run until a strong chlorine odor is detected, then turn it off and go to the next one.

Should you put bleach in your well?

4) Work out how much bleach will be needed: For every 50 gallons of water in the well use one quart of laundry bleach – (4 quarts in a gallon). Do not use excessive amounts of bleach – more is not more effective. 5) For best results the bleach should be combined with water before adding it to the well.

Does well water need to be filtered?

The layers of rock and soil between the surface and the groundwater has filtered most contaminants out, although some minerals may have been picked up by the water as it filtered down to the aquifer. You may not need to treat your well water otherwise if you have a personal well.

What are the 3 types of wells?

There are three types of private drinking water wells.

  1. Dug/Bored wells are holes in the ground dug by shovel or backhoe.
  2. Driven wells are constructed by driving pipe into the ground.
  3. Drilled wells are constructed by percussion or rotary-drilling machines.

How much does it cost to put in a well?

Drilling a well costs $5,500 for an average depth of 150 feet. Most projects range between $1,500 and $12,000. Expect to pay between $15 and $30 per foot of depth, or up to $50 for difficult terrain. Digging might be enough for shallow depths, ranging between $10 and $25 per square foot.

Can you shock a well with vinegar?

For every 100 gallons of water stored in the well, 3 gallons of white vinegar is needed. Mix the amount of vinegar required with water in a clean bucket or garbage can and pour mixture down into the well.

How much chlorine is needed to disinfect water?

The mixture will produce a chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter. To disinfect water, add one part of the chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water you are treating. This is about the same as adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of the chlorine solution to 12.5 gallons of water.

How long does it take to get bleach out of a well?

Run the water to flush the bleach solution out of the well. Monitor the process, it can take 30 minutes to 24 hours or more to flush all of the bleach solution from the well. Use chlorine test papers to verify that the water coming from the outside faucet or yard hydrant is clear of any bleach solution.

Can I use pool shock in my well?

The best way to shock chlorinate a well is to use a combination of dry pellets and dry chlorine granules mixed with water. You can also use pool chlorine, which is 10% to 12% sodium hypochlorite and twice as strong as household bleach. Do not use pool pellets, which are not designed for potable water.

Why does my well water smell like rotten eggs?

If you smell a “rotten egg” odor, this is hydrogen sulfide gas. If the water smells like oil or asphalt this can be from manganese. Iron and sulfur bacteria can interact with the anode rod in water heaters, resulting in hydrogen sulfide gas only in the hot water.

What is shocking a well?

Shock chlorination is the process by which home water systems such as wells, springs, and cisterns are disinfected using household liquid bleach (or chlo- rine). Shock chlorination is the most widely recommended means of treating bacterial contamination in home water systems.